Activities For NZ Music Month
May is more than just another month. To many, May signifies something special and something that is uniquely kiwi, for it is New Zealand Music Month - a month completely and utterly dedicated to our local music and musicians.
NZ Music Month was originally started as a radio industry focused week which has over the years morphed into a fully fledged month long celebration of everything musical from New Zealand. It's for all New Zealander's and their friends who wish to participate in whatever manner they choose.
May 2012 plays host to a huge array of gigs, showcases, record releases, open days, seminars, exhibitions, promotions and competitions around the country all to celebrate our local music and those folk that create it.
As May gets closer, the anticipation and excitement for the casual and not so casual music fan starts to kick in... So here's a sneak peek into some of the exciting activities happening around the globe this NZ Music Month:
- Smokefree Rockquest & Pacifica Beats Launch, Parliament Buildings, Wellington 30 April with regional heats kicking off around the country throughout the month.
- Rip It Up Presents Best Of Kiwi, the official unofficial NZ Music Month Awards
- Anika Moa, Nadia Reid & Hanna Harding kicking off Christchurchs NZ Music Month activities at CPIT, 1 May
- Ponsonby watering hole The Whiskey kicks off 21 nights of live music come May first.
- Dirty Records celebrate ten years in the biz with a birthday party being held at Auckland's The Studio, 4 May
- The Yoots perform at the Tongariro Chartered Club, Turangi, 11 May
- The Great Escape Festival: NZ Showcase, Brighton UK, 12 May
- Beautiful Machine, the Shihad documentary opens in cinemas nationwide, 17 May
- State Of Mind perform at Sammys in Dunedin, 19 May
- Liverpool Sound City: NZ Music Showcase, Liverpool UK, 17 May
- NZSO - Made In NZ Concert, Town Hall, Wellington, 25 May
- Pacific Music Awards, Manukau, 31 May
- APO with DJCXL and Anonymouz, Remix The Orchestra, Auckland Town Hall, 31 May
- Gore Golden Guitar Awards, Gore, 31 May
The Month closes with the annual Hook Line & Sing-along event where thousands of school students all over the country come together to sing the Hook Line and Sing-along song at noon on 31 May. This year's chosen song is entitled 21 Degrees In The Shade and was written by Bruce Taiapa, a year 13 student from Gisborne.
And no musical month of May would be complete without the iconic NZ Music Month t-shirts. This years t-shirts will be available from all good local record stores for the first time, allowing purchasers the opportunity to also pick up some great local music.
With less than twenty days to go... what will you be doing this May, or more importantly, what will you be listening to?