Music Videos & New Recordings - Decisions From NZ On Air's June 2008 Meeting
This is the sixth and final Music Video funding round for the 2007/2008 funding year (which started on 01 July 2007). This funding year, we are budgeting on doing 170 music videos – the same as last year.
In this round, we received 102 applications. We have got the budget to do 28-29 projects on average in each of the six funding rounds this year, but in this round we had a few extra up our sleeve and we will do 33 projects to bring the funding year to a close exactly on budget.
The 33 projects that we will do in the June round include the winners of the KFC/amplifier Sounds From Your Hometown and MTV Kick Start NZ Music Month competitions – Elston Gun from Wellington, and Clap Clap Riot from Christchurch.
The successful applications are listed below. Each project will get $5,000 to make a music video, subject to our standard terms and conditions of music video funding.
Decisions are based on the airplay potential of the song and the strategic value of the music video to the radio airplay campaign. Airplay potential is measured by first testing the songs with the music video broadcasters, and then we factor in current radio priorities.
• A Low Hum/Disasteradio/Digital Pop
• A Low Hum/Over The Atlantic/Celia
• Base Promotions/Iva Lamkum/Kung Fu Grip
• Big Softie Management/The Coshercot Honeys/The Northern Club
• Bounce Records/Nesian Mystik/Dance Floor
• Chewy Records/Tahuna Breaks/Casually Acquainted
• Connan Mockasin/Connan Mockasin/Egon Hosford
• Dawn Raid Music/BeatrootzlThink Of You
• Dawn Raid Music/Mareko/Them Eyes
• Dawn Raid Music/Sweet & Irie/My Girl
• Deadboy Records/False Start/What Will It Be Like?
• Flightless Birds/Anika Moa/Wise Man Say
• Flying Nun Records/The Phoenix Foundation/40 Years
• Foolsday Limited/Hera/The Devil & Me
• From The Crate/Opensouls/Dollars
• Greg Johnson Music/Greg Johnson/Looking Out On Mondays
• Hark Music/Autozamm/Closer To Home
• Hum Records/Nathan King/Never Too Late
• Mushroom Records/Goodnight Nurse/Hard To Watch You Go
• She'll Be Right Records/Tono/Love & Economics
• Shoot The Freak Records/High Dependency Unit/Stupormodel
• Slow Rodriguez/Pluto/Chemistry
• Stuka Records/Luger Boa/What Is Real?
• Tardus Music/Die! Die! Die!/People Talk
• Tardus Music/Fur Patrol/Little Fists
• Tea Set Records/Anna Coddington/T-Shirt
• The Black Seeds/The Black Seeds/Slingshot
• The Transistors/The Transistors/Cave In
• Universal Music/Elemeno P/Loaded Gun
• Universal Music/Gin Wigmore/S O S
• Warner Music/Shihad/Rule The World
plus the winners of the KFC/amplifier Sounds From Your Hometown and MTV Kickstart competitions, who receive a music video grant as part of their package –
• Et Cetera Recordings/Elston Gun/White Noise
• Clap Clap Riot/Clap Clap Riot/Don't Want Your Baby
This is the fourth and final New Recording funding round for the 2007/2008 funding year. This funding year, like last year, we are planning on funding 20 New Recording projects at $10,000 each – $5,000 to record a radio single and an additional (conditional) $5,000 for a music video to support the release of the song to radio. That means that we are looking for just five projects in each of the four funding rounds in this funding year.
In this fourth funding round for the year, we received 219 applications. The first shortlisting gave us 38 songs, the second reduced the number of contenders to 21 and the third gave us the final ten. Each of the final ten was then invited to give us more information about the project and their plans for the song.
The five projects with the best combination of commercial radio airplay potential and a convincing plan for the recording, release and promotion of the song get the $10,000 new artist funding package. The five successful projects from the June round are –
• Thief by Clap Clap Riot
• Feels Like by Lydia Cole
• Spit by Mystery School
• Overjoyed by Tyna
• Secret Game by Zeisha